What is a Sport & Exercise Medicine (SEM) Doctor?
SEM Doctors are specialist doctors who have undergone extensive training in diagnosing and managing sports and musculoskeletal injuries and have expertise in prescribing exercise to optimise rehabilitation and improve health and well-being.
They work with elite athletes and team across a wide range of sporting disciplines and are able to bring that knowledge and experience to help injuries in people with any sporting ability. Sports doctors & Physician’s will also see people from all walks of life with back pain, joint and other musculoskeletal injuries.
SEM Doctors have advanced diagnostic and interventional skills to ensure that you receive an accurate diagnosis and a holistic tailored treatment plan to get you back to being your best.
For patients with medical insurance; you may need a GP or direct insurance referral to see the Sports Doctor.
What conditions does a SEM Doctor see?
SEM Doctors have expertise in all types of injuries, musculoskeletal conditions, and prescribing exercise.
- Conditions affecting the muscles, ligaments, tendons, bone, cartilage, joints and nerves
- Sports and exercise related injuries
- Overuse and over-training conditions
- Advice on exercise, health and wellbeing
- Work related conditions and injuries
What can I expect from a consultation with an SEM Doctor?
After a detailed assessment and examination, the SEM Doctor will provide a personalised treatment plan which may involve collaborating with other healthcare professionals in Freedom Clinics to provide you with the best possible care.
If appropriate, investigations and treatments can be performed by the SEM Doctor, such as:
- Musculoskeletal ultrasound scan in clinic
- Ultrasound guided injections e.g. corticosteroid, hyaluronic acid (e.g. Ostenil injections-joint lubricant), high-volume injections (into joints and around tendons), PRP injections (plasma rich protein)
- Dry needling (medical acupuncture)
- Shockwave therapy
If appropriate, the SEM doctor can also refer you for:
- Blood tests
- Further imaging including X-Ray, MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) and CT (Computerised Tomography) scans
- Consider referral to other surgical or medical specialists to optimise your care
For more information, call your local clinic on the number below.
London, Canary Wharf Clinic; (Canada Place Shopping Mall): 0203 197 9100